Captain’s Log: Day 93. Okay, just kidding!! I don’t really know how many days I’ve spent on the revamp! I started working on a new design back in November when I had spare time. Since January, this has been one of my major priorities!
Well? What do you think?? :D
Over the years, I’ve tried different styles for my site. It’s been most recent that I began to (re)understand the importance being TRUE to yourself, and LOVING and EMBRACING who you are. I’ve tried more professional-esque designs in the past, but after a few months, they seem so bland and stale as a representation of ME.
Related to the idea of being true to yourself, I’ve also began to understand the importance of TRANSPARENCY, especially on the internet. Anyone can Google my name and find parts and bits about my life. But I want them to see me as a greater whole. THIS is the central location for your research on Estella Tse.
Thus, I decided to incorporate a LOT more content on my site, just like how I used to back in 2006 and earlier. A few new things you can explore:
- My Portfolio – includes my web designs and a lot of my latest artwork!
- Photos – directly imported from my Picasa account. (No commenting available via my site’s interface yet, but feel free to comment via Picasa’s interface!)
- Find out more about me
Please feel free to take a look around, and ENJOY! :D
Design and Development Notes
Wow I did a lot of research when I was designing and developing this new design–the power of the intarwebz!!
I referenced a lot of GREAT designers’ pages that really inspired me to develop my own design skills further. GREAT sites, with very creative and well-thought out designs! :)
- Chi Garden – http://www.chigarden.com/
- Ali Felski – http://alifelski.com/
- Sugarcubicle – http://www.sugarcubicle.com/
- Li Chin’s Showcase – http://li.pixelmind.net/
- Dawghouse Design Studio – http://www.dawghousedesignstudio.com/
Resources and Plugins
These are the sites I referenced to help achieve some of the functions and features I wanted for my new design. THANKS to you all for your fantastic tutorials, documentation, and plugins!
- Clean Archives Reloaded — used for Archives by Date page
- Contact Form 7 — used for Contact page
- kPicasa Gallery — awesome Picasa plugin used for Photos page
- Search Suggest — used for Search Form results page
- Sociable — used for the bookmarking icons located at the end of posts and pages to forward to friends
- jwloh’s Social.me Web 2.0 icons — used for the bookmark Sociable icons at the bottom of posts and pages
- Style Gala – Bullet Madness — bullet styles for lists
- Blazek Web Design – Clickable links through a transparent image in CSS — to achieve clickable RSS button behind the sidebar girl’s backpack strap
- A List Apart – CSS Design: Creating Custom Corners & Borders — to code the green sidebar border
- One Tip A Day – How To Control Text Inside Search Forms — to control the behavior of the Search form text
- WordPress.com Popular Posts
- Twitter Tools
- Theme Lab – Add Gravatar Support to Your WordPress Comments — to add more imagery to the comments section
- Inner.Geek – WP Plugin: Official Comments — changes the class for admin user comments
- Pro Blog Design – Separating Trackbacks from Comments
- The Pink & Yellow Media Blog – Highlight current page in WordPress menus — to style current page on top navigation menu
- JT Pratt’s Blogging Mistakes – WordPress Hack #5: 10 Ways to Improve Navigation — to create navigation menu at bottom of pages, with a lot of other great information!
- WP Page Numbers — JT Pratt recommended this plugin, which is the one I currently use for page navigation
- WordPress Support Forum – Custom Next/Previous links on posts — this helped me figure out a way to code the POST navigation to similarly match the previously mentioned page navigation menus
- Smashing Magazine – 10 Steps To Protect The Admin Area In WordPress
- All in One SEO Pack
- Google Analytics for WordPress
- WordPress.com Stats
- WordPress Automatic Upgrade
- WP Dojox Syntax Highlighter
- WP Super Cache
Extremely Helpful Sites for Web Designing
These sites I kept coming back to multiple times during designing and development. A lot of these offer great tutorials and overall advice about best practices and trends for the latest web designs. THANKS for having such abundant information up on your sites for others to learn from! :D
- Smashing Magazine – http://smashingmagazine.com/
- A List Apart – http://www.alistapart.com/
- WP Designer – http://www.wpdesigner.com/
- Blog Design Blog – http://www.blogdesignblog.com.
- Vandelay Design – http://vandelaydesign.com/
- w3schools – http://www.w3schools.com/
- Color Scheme Designer – http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Let me know what y’all think!! :D